The Baptistery of San Giovanni
- Cathedral of S. Maria del Fiore (Free admission)
- The archaeological site of the crypt of Santa Reparata
- The Dome of Brunelleschi
- Giotto's Bell Tower
- The Baptistery of San Giovanni
- Museo dell'Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore
- Guided Visit to the Terraces of the Cathedral Plus Admission to Brunelleschi Dome
- Guided tour of the Baptistery and the Matroneum
- Guided visit to the Museum of the Cathedral of Florence
- Combo Museo dell'Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore + The Dome by Brunelleschi
- Combo all the Monuments of Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore
- Combo 4 Monuments of Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore
- Guided visit to the Sacristy of the Masses
IMPORTANT: WARNING! Access WILL NOT BE ALLOWED to those who present themselves without the CONFIRMATION VOUCHER sent by us one business day after the request. The copy of the order and confirmation of payment from the bank ARE NOT VALID for ticket pick-up.
Entrance tickets for the Baptistery of San Giovanni, of the Cathedral of Florence.
Attention: the entrance ticket for the Baptistery can also be purchased as part of the combo packages: Museo dell'Opera + Giotto's Bell Tower + San Giovanni Baptistery + Crypt + Dome or Museo dell'Opera + Giotto's Bell Tower + San Giovanni Baptistery + Crypt, saving Euro 5.00 on the total of tickets, and a validity of 4 days.
11:15 pm - 6:30 pm
Sunday: 8:30 am - 2 pm
1st Saturday of the month: 8:30 am - 2 pm
June 24th: 11:00 am - 5 pm (free entrance)
Epiphany: 8:30 - 2 pm
Easter Monday: 8:30 am - 7 pm
April 25: 8:30 am - 7 pm
May 1: 8:30 am - 7 pm
Thursday, Friday, Saturday Holy: 8,30 am - 7 pm
November 1: 8:30 am - 2 pm
December 8: 8:30 - 2 pm
December 26: 8:30 - 2 pm
Night openings: from June 1st to September 22nd on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays until 23.00, last admission 22.30.
January 1st, Easter, September 8th and Christmas
Closure without previous notice for masses, concerts and extraordinary events.
First entry: 12:15, last access allowed: 18:00 (Saturday 13:00).
Entry through the North door
Ticket is personal and non transferable.
To collect reserved tickets, client must show the confirmation voucher at the reservations cashier of the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (Via della Canonica 1), 15 minutes before the confirmed time on the date of visit. WARNING: For night openings, after 18:00 (after 13:00 on Saturdays) the withdrawal must be made at the cashier of the Baptistery, which on this occasion will be set up directly at the entrance of the same.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: After successfully completing a reservation, you will receive two e- mails: the copy of your order (immediately after submitting your order) and the confirmation mail (one working day after). In order to receive them, please make sure you insert your e-mail address correctly and check that your anti-spam filter or antivirus are not blocking mails from our address firstname.lastname@example.org. Special attention for AOL, Comcast and Sbcglobal.net mailbox users.
PLEASE NOTICE: Confirmed time is not always the same time you requested; museum automatically confirms the closest available time (any time) on the same date if requested time is sold out.
Cancellation policy: refund is due only if the monument remains closed during the whole period of validity of the ticket.
IMPORTANT: BEHAVIOR RULES
The monumental complex of Santa Maria del Fiore is overall a place for the cult and the pray; visitors are asked to respect some simple behavior rules in respect of the place and the persons.The prepurchased tickets DOES NOT guarantee access or stay inside the monuments, if the behavior rules are not respected, especially the dressing code.
- To use an adequate dressing: it's not allowed entrance with bare legs and shoulders
- Please be quiet
- Please turn your mobile phones off
- Do not eat nor drink
- Pets are not allowed
- Works of art must not be touched
- No smoking
- Please don't use flash or tripod
ATTENTION: AUDIOGUIDES DESK MUSEO DELL'OPERA TEMPORARILY CLOSED; AUDIOGUIDES MUST BE PICKED UP AT AUDIOGUIDES DESK OF THE CATHEDRAL
Pick up: Audioguide Desk Duomo di Firenze (Piazza Duomo) in the following hours:
- from middle March to middle November: 12:10 - 18:30; Sundays: 8:30 - 13:00
- from middle November to middle March: only holidays and long weekends
Closure without previous notice for masses, concerts and extraordinary events.
Available in 5 languages: English, Italian, French, German and Spanish.
Duration: 10 minutes.
With an octagonal plan, entirely faced with white and green marble slabs from Prato, the Baptistery is surmounted by a cupola with eight segments which rest on the perimetric walls, masked from the outside by raising the walls over the arches of the second level and by a roof with a flattened pyramidal form. This fascinating and extremely complex structure has created quite a few problems to date it.
In the Middle Ages, the Florentines believed the Baptistery to be ancient, dating to the city’s Roman period; a pagan temple transformed into a church. In effect, a good portion of the Baptistery’s marble facing, along with numerous fragments and ancient inscriptions, as well as the large columns supporting the trabeation over the doors inside, come from the ruins of the Roman ‘Florentia’, perhaps from some pagan building.
The Baptistery we see today is fruit of the enlargement of a primitive Baptistery dating to the IV-V century. The excavations of the past century have indeed revealed the remains of Roman constructions under both the Baptistery and the Duomo. Several grilles on the floor indeed light a subterranean area with the remains of a Roman house with geometric motif mosaicked floors.
In the early 1100s, San Giovanni was faced with splendid green and white marble that took the place of the previous sandstone. The third order with marble bays and the pyramidal roof with lantern were probably added between the middle and late XII century. In 1202, the ancient semicircular apse was replaced with today’s rectangular “scarsella”. In its entirety, the edifice is a fine expression of Romanesque architecture in the city.
In the second half of the XI century, the interior was lined with marble and, along with the monolithic columns and two sarcophagi, evokes the “gravitas” of the Roman Pantheon. The floor with its oriental-style marble intarsias abounds in elegant decorative motifs, making it resemble a carpet with zodiacal signs in bold relief. On the right wall of the apse inside, we see the sarcophagus of the Bishop Ranieri, which bears an inscription in Leonine hexameters, dated 1113; on the right of the apse, the sepulcher of Baldassarre Cossa, the anti-pope John XXIII, by Donatello and Michelozzo in 1421-27.
The decorative apparatus is completed by pairs of fonts on little tortile columns, a Gothic candelabrum attributed to a follower of Arnolfo, and a late fourteenth-century baptismal font attributed to a follower of Andrea Pisano. Let us also mention that most of the Baptistery furnishings, including Donatello’s Magdalene, are today housed in the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo.
The mosaic decoration of the interior was begun in the XIII century, lining the scarsella and the entire cupola, with interventions by Jacopo Torriti and, perhaps, by the new Florentine pictorial school: Cimabue and Coppo di Marcovaldo.
The mosaics are dominated by the enormous figure of a judging Christ with scenes of the Last Judgment occupying three of the eight segments of the cupola. The upper horizontal registers of the five remaining segments depict the stories of Saint John the Baptist, patron saint of Florence, and stories of Christ, Joseph and the Genesis. The highest register in the center of the cupola has depictions of the angelic hierarchies.
Under the patronage of the wealthy Calimala Guild (woolworkers), the Baptistery was also embellished with three beautiful bronze doors.
The oldest, the south door, was originally situated on the east and successively replaced with the one by Ghiberti, known as the “Door of Paradise”. It was originally commissioned from sculptor Andrea Pisano who created it between 1330 and 1336. Its twenty upper bays show episodes from the life of the Baptist, while the remaining eight portray the Christian Virtues. The frieze that frames them was sculpted in the mid fifteenth century by Vittorio Ghiberti, son of Lorenzo Ghiberti. The bronze sculptural group with the Baptist, his executioner and Salome, on the trabeation, is by Vincenzo Danti and dated 1570.
The north door was the next to be realized. It served as a test bed for the competition of 1401, won by Lorenzo Ghiberti, and resulting in the defeat of various artists, including Brunelleschi and Jacopo della Quercia. Substantially laid out like the south door, the twenty upper panels depict scenes of the New Testament, while the eight lower panels show the Evangelists and the four Fathers of the Church. The wings are decorated with stories from the life of Christ and are by Lorenzo Ghiberti, while the trabeation depicts the group of John the Baptist Preaching by Giovan Francesco Rustici. Above the window, the Calimala eagle holds the “torsello”.
Finally, the east door, that Michelangelo called the door of Paradise, is the by-now fully Renaissance masterpiece by Ghiberti and his assistants, including Luca della Robbia. Ghiberti and his workshop obtained the commission for the door without a competition. It was made differently from the other two and has only ten large panels. These illustrate scenes of the Old Testament and are no longer bordered by a Gothic frame, instead proposing new solutions in perspective and Donatello’s “stiacciato” style. The sculptures over the door, dated 1502, are by Andrea Sansovino and Innocenzo Spinazzi. Note also, on either side of the Door of Paradise, two porphyry columns donated to the Florentines by the Pisans for the military help given in 1117 against Lucca, while the Pisan fleet was engaged in the Balearic Islands against the Muslims.
Only Full Price Tickets, no reductions available.